Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | September 2020
SAVE THE DATE
Annual Mushroom Industry Market Review via Zoom
Your input & participation is encouraged and appreciated – All Council representatives will be in attendance
Join us for the ALL MEMBER Annual Mushroom Industry Market Review taking place via Zoom on Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at:
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm Pacific
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm Central
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm Eastern
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
- Introduction-Shipment Review
- Strategic review
- Foodservice Marketing Activity Update
- Consumer Marketing Activity Update
- Virtual Q&A
If you have any questions prior to the webinar, please email them to [email protected]
*Please note that there is a Council Meeting taking place starting at 8:00am Pacific on Thursday, September 10 also via Zoom. All industry members are welcome to attend, just let us know so we can make sure you receive the necessary login information.
Open Positions on the Council (2021-2023 term):
Ballots have been tabulated and background forms have been completed by those with the highest votes and pounds. The nomination package has been sent to USDA to have their names sent to the Secretary of Agriculture for possible appointment to the Council.
- Region 1 (All states except CA & PA) – one open position
- Region 2 (PA) – one open position
- Region 4 (Importers) – one open position
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- A recipe for Blended Burgers with Quick Pickles will be featured in the For September, we are looking forward to Mushroom Month promotions where we plan to use the theme #MushroomADay and promote adding mushrooms to dishes you already know and love. We will be posting on social media daily, with the help of our partners. Follow along on all the Mushroom Council social platforms to learn more!
- The Council is sponsoring the Nutrition News event targeting 27 food and nutrition editors and writers. On Sept. 16, Pam Smith, RD will be leading a 30-minute cooking demo highlighting the nutrition benefits of The Blend.
- September marks two activations with the Retail Dietitians Business Alliance (RDBA). The first is the launch of the Mushroom Council’s EduTrac online curriculum for retail dietitians. The second is participation in the RDBA Virtual Experience, an event that will be held for three hours on each of three days – September 22, 23, and 24th and is exclusive to retail dietitians. The Council will have a virtual trade show booth to engage with retail dietitians and Dr. Mark Lang is presenting a modified version of the webinar he presented earlier this year for RDBA titled “Consumer Insights: New Research Explaining Consumer Behavior Behind Food Trends.”
Highlights from August
- Mushroom growers attributed The Blend to an aid in increasing mushrooms sales, as detailed in an article on The Packer. Learn more!
- Mushroom-Blue Cheese Turkey Burgers were featured in Allrecipe’s “Favorites You Love” section in the August/September print issue. The blended burger recipe has been saved 18,447 times on Allrecipes.com since originally posted online in 2003. View the print version.
Monthly Topline Report
Tracker Highlights – Period ending 06/14/2020
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy
- In the 4-weeks – Mushrooms sales trend upward across the U.S.
- In the 52-weeks – 4-week trends lifted dollar sales for 52-week period
- Mushrooms remained a hot commodity with an increase of +26.2% in category dollars. This positioned the category +16.2 points ahead of Total Produce
- Dollar growth was driven by an increase in volume (+21.9%) and average price/lb. (+3.5%)
- All regions across the U.S. showed double-digit increases in dollar sales, led by California(+34.2%)
- Nearly all markets also showed double-digit dollar growth, led by Portland at +46.9%
- Conventional and Organic mushroom sales increased this period. Conventional dollar sales increased +24.7% (+$20.6M) and contributed 82.3% of dollar growth, while Organic dollar sales increased +37.0% (+$3.2M)
*IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing