Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | June 2017
June 1, 2017
- The next Council meeting will take place on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 in Quebec, Canada. If you would like to attend, please let us know so we can make sure you are accommodated.
- Ballots were mailed for the 2018-2020 term on June 1, 2017 to eligible voters in Region 1 (all states except CA & PA), Region 2 (PA) & Region 4 (Importers). Completed ballots are due (postmarked) by June 30, 2017.
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- The Blended Burger Project™ officially kicked-off on May 29th. To help amplify this summer’s 3rd annual contest, please 1) eat at participating BBP restaurants in your area 2) vote for your favorite blended burger(s) and 3) help us continue to encourage chefs to register and consumers to vote. See the BBP toolkit for help with B2B recruiting: www.mushroomcouncil.org/blended-burger-project-b2b
- The Retail RDN Blenditarian Recipe Contest entries are in! We have 20 original, dietitian-developed Blend recipes to add to the Council’s website. We will be testing the final six recipes and announcing a winner via Retail Dietitians Business Alliance on June 28th. We will share the press release so you can send it to your customers to spark interest around developing Blend recipes.
- The Mushroom Council and Beef Checkoff are teaming up for the third Veal Mushroom Summer Grilling Promotion. The promotion runs from June 5 the September 5. Shippers are encouraged to amplify the activities below, as well as encourage participating retailers to offer a mushroom promotion during contest period.
- A new Veal Mushroom Blend Sliders recipe will be introduced through labels placed on specially marked packages of veal.
- The promotion will be supported with a consumer sweepstakes featuring a $500 grand prize in free groceries.
- Over 20 retail chains are expected to participate.
- The Council is adding a special Facebook promotion for a chance to win a Food Ninja blender.
- There will be a trade press release, a consumer eblast, and sharing images and videos to Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook. Watch for these to amplify.
- To see images and a video of the new Veal Mushroom Blend Sliders, click here. We are encouraging shippers to post this video to their website, as well as social channels. Please include this courtesy line, “Recipe, image and video courtesy of the Beef Checkoff.“
- The Produce Retailer ran an article “The Blend Swaps Protein for Incremental Sales.” Additionally, a press release was distributed to the trade press on Doc’s successful launch of The Blend. To read both features, click here. Be sure to use this press coverage when discussing The Blend with your retailers.
- The Council will exhibit at the School Nutrition Association Annual National Conference July 9-12, in Atlanta, Georgia. Take advantage of the increased awareness and conversation around mushrooms during the national conference and work with your school district customers and produce distributors to amplify the Mushrooms In Schools Marketing Messages. If you are interested in attending School Nutrition Association conferences in your state to increase school mushroom sales review the How To Attend a SNA State Show.
- The Council will once again partner with the National Dairy Council’s “Fuel Up to Play 60” Annual Leadership Summit in in Minneapolis, MN, from July 24 – 27. Support your local school and get involved as an ambassador or a community member.
- The Council will will be sampling the Turkey Taco Blend in our booth (#4152) at the IDDBA (International Dairy Deli Bakery Association) in Anaheim, CA June 4 – 6. IDDBA is one of the largest shows serving the dairy, deli and bakery categories. The Council’s board members, staff and agencies are invited to attend the trade show and visit the booth.
Highlights from May
- The Blend the Rules school recipe and marketing campaign winners were announced in early May. The Mushroom Council will be promoting the winning ideas throughout the remainder of the year as a part of a “Steal This Idea” campaign. Make sure to follow the Council’s social channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and re-purpose content for your own networks.
- The 31 school districts that participated in the campaign cited a 25% increase in mushroom consumption due to promotion and 10% reduction in waste during the campaign.
- The Council was a sponsor of the Today’s Dietitian Symposium, in New Orleans, May 21-24. We introduced many nutrition influencers to The Blend, sampled Blended Turkey Mushroom Tacos and Blended Meatballs, both of which were a huge hit and very easy to sample. Many RDNs stopped by the booth to take the Blenditarian pledge and were eager to use our RD Toolkit. The Blend was also mentioned during a session on sustainability.
- The Council worked with RDs from Fareway to sponsor a feature on The Blend in the May-July issue of their in-store magazine, Centsable Health. Fareway is currently serving Blended Burgers in their stores and most recently promoted The Blend via broadcast TV segments. Contact The Council if you’re interested in sponsoring a feature in your customer’s in-store magazine.
- The Council participated in the Bristol Farms Passport to Savings Program which included an ad featuring Turkey Mushroom Blend Sliders (view here) was distributed in 300,000 program booklets. Shippers are encouraged to use this as an example to introduce the Blend to other retailers.
- Kroger stores (Dallas/Houston & Atlanta) sampled the Blended Turkey Tacos at 30 events. Alfalfa stores (Boulder and Louisville, CO) also promoted the Blended Turkey Tacos during in-store demos. Shippers selling mushrooms in these areas are encouraged to leverage these recent events and talk to senior management about launching The Blend.
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy: Click here for the full report.
- In the 4‐weeks – Mushroom dollars soar amid higher volume
- In the 52‐weeks – Mushroom category inches closer to $1.2 billions
* IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing