Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | December 2017
USDA Announces Mushroom Council Appointments
WASHINGTON, Dec. 6, 2017 – Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue today announced the appointment of three members to serve on the Mushroom Council. The members appointed to serve three-year terms are:
- Curtis C. Jurgensmeyer, Miami, Okla. (Region 1)
- Joe W. Caldwell, Reading, Pa. (Region 2)
- Jane Irene Rhyno, Ontario, Canada (Region 4)
“The Mushroom Council is effectively working to expand markets and create new ways for customers to use mushrooms,” said Perdue. “These appointees have a deep understanding of the mushroom industry and I know that this agricultural sector will be well served by them.”
Council Meeting: The next Council meeting will take place in February 2018 in San Diego, CA. If you would like to attend, please let us know so we can make sure you are accommodated.
Nomination: A call for nominations will be sent on February 1, 2018 for three position on the Council for the 2019-2021 term.
Exemption Applications: The exemption applications for the 2018 calendar year have been mailed to those who are currently exempt. If you need an application, click here.
To see current charts, click here.
Please note, that according to Submitted First Handler Reports, July and August were record shipping months.
- Mushroom Council will be attending and showcasing The Blend at the upcoming Culinary Institute of America’s Healthy Kids Collaborative and School Food Focus National Gathering to dozens of major school nutrition directors resulting in the potential for thousands of new blend items to be added to school menus across the country.
Highlights from November
- The Council exhibited at the California School Nutrition Association Conference on November 10th and 11th in Sacramento, California. The event brought together school nutrition directors from across the state. The council spoke to several schools who are very interested and enthusiastic about using the blend soon! We displayed our banners, handed out recipe cards and the 50 Mushroom Recipes Menu Calendar.
Tracker Highlights from 10/08/2017*
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy: Click here for the full report.
- In the 4-weeks – Mushroom category outpaces total produce in dollar growth rate
- In the 52-weeks – Brown mushrooms drive 43% of a +$31.8M category gain
* IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing