Chicken and mushrooms combine with Indian Curry spices in this quick dinner recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds dry lentils
- 5 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, cut in thin wedges
- 4 pounds fresh mushrooms (white or crimini), sliced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup mild Indian curry paste
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 #10 can diced tomatoes
- 6 pounds cauliflower florets
- 2 cups chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 cups plain low fat yogurt
- In a large covered pot simmer lentils in water for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in large deep rondeau or braising pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir-fry 2-3 minutes and then add mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry paste and cinnamon. Add chicken and stir-fry 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice; cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 10 minutes. Taste and stir in more curry if desired. Add cauliflower and lentils; bring to boil, cover and cook about 3-5 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp tender.
- Stir in cilantro and serve topped with a dollop of yogurt. Accompany it with naan bread or basmati rice.
- Tips: Any leftovers can be reheated and rolled up in a warm roti or whole wheat tortilla. Fresh coriander, used in Indian cooking is the same herb as cilantro, which is the Latin American name for it.
- Serving Size: 1 soup
- Calories: 310
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 31 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
If you like this, try these:
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jenn Louis of Lincoln RestaurantView Recipe
Ground chuck blended with shiitake mushrooms, romesco, grilled spring onions, salsa verde aioli, butter lettuce on a toasted brioche bun.View Recipe