Tomato Butter Sauce:
- 25 oz whole peeled tomatoes – puréed and strained
- 4 oz butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 c olive oil
- 12 oz maitake mushrooms,
- or any mushroom of choice
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 2 oz ground bacon
- 6 oz fresh ricotta
- 2 oz grated pecorino-romano
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- A few swipes fresh nutmeg
- 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 oz fresh breadcrumbs, about 1 slice fresh bread
- 4 oz Italian provolone picante, shredded
- 4 brioche hamburger buns Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 ̊F.
- Tomato Butter Sauce: Place tomatoes and butter in a large sauce pot. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes, season gently with salt. Set aside.
- Burger Patties: Break maitake mushrooms into large chunks. Warm a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and mushrooms, cook until tender and golden. Season lightly with salt, cool completely. Place mushrooms in a food processor and pulse several times to 1⁄4-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, beef, ground bacon, ricotta, pecorino-romano, eggs, nutmeg, sage leaves, breadcrumbs and 1 3⁄4 tablespoons salt, mix well. Form into four 8-ounce, oval balls. Place patties on an ovenproof tray, atten slightly and spoon over 2⁄3 of the tomato butter sauce. Cover tray with foil and bake for 1 hour, turning the tray 180 degrees after 30 minutes.
- To serve, toast brioche buns, place a warm burger patty on bun, top with 1-ounce provolone cheese and warm sauce. Top with bun and serve.
If you like this, try these:
Ground chuck blended with shiitake mushrooms, romesco, grilled spring onions, salsa verde aioli, butter lettuce on a toasted brioche bun.View Recipe
Kentucky proud beef, button mushroom patty topped with huitlacoche queso fresco, avocado crema, crispy potatoes, cilantro & red onion on a local bolillo bun.View Recipe
A homemade burger in 20 minutes flat is possible when you’re making this Muenster Stuffed Veal and Mushroom Burger. Simply blend tasty ingredients like ground veal, chopped white button mushrooms, and breadcrumbs to make your patties, grill those burgers to perfection, and serve on toasted ciabatta rolls topped with a delectable steak-sauce topping.View Recipe