Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | May 2019
Mushroomcouncil.org is currently down as we are in the midst of revamping the site. In the meantime, if you need anything please contact Heather@mushroomcouncil.org.
Open Positions on the Council (2020-2022 term):
Nominations are now closed for the 2020-2022 term. Letters are being sent to those nominated to accept the nomination before the ballots are sent on June 3rd.
- Region 1 (All states except CA & PA) – two open positions
- Region 2 (PA) – one open position
Mushroom growers have ideas, skills, experiences and perspectives that would benefit the industry; be a voice for your industry by becoming part of the Council.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Mushroom Council encourage all eligible producers, including women, minorities and individuals with disabilities to participate and seek nomination.
Next Scheduled Council Meeting:
The next meeting of the Council will take place on June 20-21 in Denver, Colorado. If you are interested in attending, please let us know so we can make sure you are properly accommodated.
The Month Ahead
- May is Burger Month! Spread the word using the monthly downloadable graphics and sample social posts.
- Registration for the fifth annual Blended Burger Project™ is open. Read the full release here and encourage your network of chefs to sign up at https://www.jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject/register.
- We will host four local market events in May to celebrate the kickoff of the project. If you are interested in attending any of the events outlined below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- The Blended Burger Project™: Home Edition launches May 1. Download the webinar deck for more information, and access the materials here.
Highlights from April
- Phil Lempert, the Supermarket Guru, interviewed Heather Harter and Gale Ferranto about mushrooms’ sustainability, nutrition and versatility (including The Blend) on RDBA’s new podcast, ‘Lost in the Supermarket.’ Listen to the full podcast here.
- The Council’s partnership with Bon Appétit launched with two activations: a custom article on BonAppetit.com titled ‘4 Benefits to Making a Blended Burger,’ and a recipe video featuring Senior Food Editor, Chris Morocco, making his version of a Blended Double Patty Smashburger.
- The Council hosted an Industry webinar introducing the newly revised Cold-Chain Best Practices materials. These materials are for the industry to utilize with their staff and customers. Download the revised materials below:
- The Council hosted another webinar on Apri 25th to review the new Q2 Retail Marketing Book with industry members. The book contains retail sales data that covers 2018, as well as Blended Burger Project™ information. Download the Q2 Retail Marketing Book.
- Mushrooms in Schools is looking forward to attending the annual American Commodity Distribution Association (ACDA) Conference, in Niagara Falls, NY, on May 5-8th. This conference has no exhibits and is packed full of educational sessions. We also have the opportunity to network with the USDA, State Distribution Teams and Schools.
Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge
Tracker Highlights – Period ending 01/27/2018
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy
- In the 4-weeks – Mushroom category showed flat sales, with Total Produce in decline
- In the 52-weeks – Mushroom category grew at twice the rate of Total Produce
*IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing