Media Placements – 05/03/19
Mushrooms in the News: 5-3-19
This week, Dr. Oz profiled fast food burgers, calling out new offerings such as veggie wrapped, vegetarian and meat alternatives – as well as The Blend. “If I had to choose,” one of the panelists noted, “I’d choose the mushroom/beef burger.” “I agree, I want something real,” another panelist said. Dr. Oz added: “I don’t think anyone will be disappointed (with the blended burger). The core burger is there.”
Similarly, Good Housekeeping’s story, “Is the Impossible Burger Actually Healthy? A Nutritionist Weighs In,” concluded with Blend-supporting comments from the outlet’s top nutritionist: “The best option…would be to halve the amount of meat you’re using in that burger, and fill the rest with veggies, especially mushrooms.”
Additionally, we saw strong BBP coverage in Cleveland and Pittsburgh as a result of our first local market market kickoff events.
MEDIA + SOCIAL/DIGITAL HIGHLIGHTS
- New Fast Food Burgers – Dr. Oz Show (segment starts at 1:13)
- Blended Burger Project kicks off 5th year touting mushrooms – Cleveland Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com
- Mushroom Council and Bon Appétit Launch “Blended” Burger Month Recipe Contest – MarketWatch (and 150 others)
- Burgh’ers hosts James Beard Foundation to kick off Blended Burger Competition – Pittsburgh Business Times
- Pittsburgh Today Live (Pittsburgh event broadcast segment)
- Is the Impossible Burger Actually Healthy? A Nutritionist Weighs In on the Ingredients – GoodHousekeeping.com
- The Burger May Be the Most Ubiquitous Dish in Dallas. But What is the Future of Dallas Burgers? – Dallas Observer
- Blend Your Way to a Nutritious Meal – Urban Views
- The 13 Most Common Types of Mushrooms – And What to Do with Them – Yahoo! Lifestyle
- So many mushrooms: Why Dallas chefs and grocers keep these flavorful fungi in stock – DallasNews.com
- Cooking With Oyster Mushrooms? Here are 5 Smacking Recipes For you! – Medium
- Mushroom Council and Bon Appetit Launch “Blended” Burger Month Recipe Contest – PerishableNews.Com
- When Fast Food Met Veggie – QSR Magazine
- Graffiti Sea Burger – Fast Food Director
NOTEWORTHY SOCIAL/DIGITAL ACTIVITY
It’s officially National Burger Month and to celebrate, Mushroom Council and Bon Appétit launched the first-ever Blended Burger Contest. To roll out the campaign, five influencer partners shared blended burger inspiration and contest promotion – garnering thousands of engagements and comments within hours of posting. Several ambitious home cooks have already created and submitted their original burgers on Instagram – follow the hashtag to follow along: #BlendedBurgerContest.
Hundreds of fans commented on contest posts, including:
- danielle_christy_: Yum this looks amazing! I love adding mushrooms into my burgers. Amazing contest can’t wait to enter. I know what I’m focusing on this weekend ?
- undercover.weightwatcher: This has me drooling! You have forgotten nothing! I would love to come up with a blended burger. I’m a huge mushroom fan-not to mention @bonappetitmag that has been my favorite magazine for thirty years. I even had a subscription as a starving college student! ?
- linniept: I’ve been doing this for ages…didn’t know it was a thing!!?
- stinaerowland: I’ve never heard of blended burger before but it sounds amazing!!! I loveee mushrooms (and beef haha)
- caitlinelisse: Ohmygosh! I can’t wait to make this! ??
- missbeachic: Oh my GOODNESS!!! I’m in love!! Guess who’s heading to the store now to pick up stuff to make this! ❤️??????❤️