Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | January 2020
Open Positions on the Council (2021-2023 term):
A call for nominations will be sent on or about February 1, 2020, for three open positions on the Council for the 2021-2023 term.
- Region 1 (All states except CA & PA) – one open position
- Region 2 (PA) – one open position
- Region 4 (Importers) – one open position
Mushroom growers have ideas, skills, experiences and perspectives that would benefit the industry; be a voice for your industry by becoming part of the Council.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Mushroom Council encourage all eligible producers, including women, minorities and individuals with disabilities to participate and seek the nomination.
Exemption Applications: The exemption applications for the 2020 calendar year have been mailed to those who are currently exempt. If you do not receive an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The next Council meeting will take place on February 20, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. If you would like to attend, please reach out to Cheryl@mushroomcouncil.org.
Shipment Summary Highlights
Combined AND domestic September shipment volume set a new all-time high; and indeed this was the 4th consecutive new monthly high – reflecting steady sales growth throughout the summer months. June and August exceeded 80 million pounds for the first time ever. Time to change the narrative when we talk to the trade… there is no summer slump to mushroom sales.
While import also continue to set new highs, the growth rate has moderated, up 8% in September vs 12.45% year to date.
California & Pennsylvania shipments were strong for September ’19 vs September ’18, outpacing year to date % change versus year before, more than making up for less volume shipped from the rest of the US.
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- The social campaign in January is “What’s Your Mushroom Horoscope for 2020?” Share the 12 Mushroom Horoscopes and Graphics throughout the month via social media, emails or blogs.Download: Horoscope Descriptions
- Download: Horoscope Graphics
- Share health-focused content via social media, emails or blogs.
- Download: Healthy Habits Graphics
UPCOMING INDUSTRY COMMUNICATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Q1 Marketing Book Overview with Q2 Marketing Materials
Join the first marketing webinar of the new year on January 23 at 2pm (ET), 11am (PT). Members of the Mushroom Council Team will be discussing marketing data and trending media stories, as well as introduce materials for Q2 including this year’s Bon Appetit Contest Promotion and Earth Day social media materials.
- Register for this session at: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5256981000792822029
- James Beard Foundation Taste America Opportunities
Mushroom Council will be a sponsor with James Beard Foundation in its Raising the Bar Receptions. At these events, we will have a chef preparing a blended burger for attendees and the council will be holding a taste test comparison between the blended patty and a 100% meat patty.
The Council has a limited number of tickets for each event that allows industry members to attend or to use to invite their customers in those geographic areas. If you would like tickets for any of the events below, please email Heather at email@example.com:
- Thursday, February 6, Boston, MA, Boston Public Market, 7:00 pm
- Thursday, February 13,New Orleans, LA, New Orleans Culinary and Hospitality Institute, 6:00 pm
- Thursday, March 5, San Francisco, CA, Virgin Hotel, 6:45 pm
Highlights from December
- The Blend was named a top food trend for 2020 in several recent articles. Check out the top headlines:
- These Are the Food Trends We’ll Be Talking About in 2020, According to Food Network – Foodnetwork.com
Tracker Highlights – Period ending 11/03/2019
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy
- In the 4-weeks – Specialty mushrooms take the spotlight
- In the 52-weeks – Organic mushrooms continue strong growth
*IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing