Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | January 2018
We would like to welcome the newly appointed members to the Council as well as thank the members that just finished their terms. We thank you for your time & dedication to the industry.
Appointed Members (2018-2020)
- Region 1: Curtis C. Jurgensmeyer, J-M Farms
- Region 2: Joe W. Caldwell, Giorgi Mushroom
- Region 4: Jane Rhyno, Highline Mushrooms
Past Members (2012-2017)
- Region 1: Pat Jurgensmeyer, J-M Farms
- Region 2: Dave Carroll, Giorgi Mushroom
- Region 4: Liz O’Neil Meurehg, Highline Mushrooms
Council Meeting: The next Council meeting will take place in February 2018 in San Diego, CA. If you would like to attend, please let us know so we can make sure you are accommodated.
Nominations: A call for nominations will be sent on February 1, 2018 for three positions on the Council for the 2019-2021 term.
Exemption Applications: The exemption applications for the 2018 calendar year have been mailed to those who are currently exempt. If you need an application, click here.
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- The Mushroom Council will debut MushroomCouncil.com with an eye toward improving user-friendliness, navigation and culinary inspiration. It will feature an open, clean layout with updated health and nutrition information, new recipes, beautiful photography, and seven new ‘how-to’ videos.
- We will launch our “I am a Blenditarian because…” year-long campaign, featuring a variety of chef, blogger and dietitian ambassadors. Each ambassador will help spread the Blenditarian message through their unique platforms, promoting the sustainability, flavor and nutrition aspects of The Blend. If you haven’t already, take the pledge to become a Blenditarian at Blenditarian.com and opt in for our monthly newsletters where each ambassador will be revealed.
- As part of the “I am a Blenditarian because…” campaign, we will launch the Blenditarian Challenge™ – a social media sweepstakes challenging consumers to make a new blended dish that fits into the monthly theme (i.e. healthy classics, back-to-school, etc.) and share a photo on social media. Five consumers will be chosen each month to win $250. Learn more about the sweepstakes here and be sure to share on your social channel and blog.
- The winners of the 3rd annual James Beard Foundation’s Blended Burger Project™ will be cooking their winning burgers at the historic James Beard House on January 23. Be sure to feature the winners in your own blog posts and communications promoting the success of the contest and how The Blend has transformed the way we eat. For more information about the winners visit the Blenditarian blog. Interested in attending this unique event? You can purchase tickets here for the Blended Burger ‘Bun’anza held Tuesday, January 23, 2018, at the James Beard House, New York City.
- Texas Blitz – Feb 5 – 9th: On behalf of their work with the Mushroom Council, Malissa Marsden and Dayle Hayes will be visiting Texas schools during the week of February 5th through 9th. They are hoping to visit a couple of meals in the Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth district and discuss the many delicious opportunities for Mushrooms in Schools, as well as any appropriate menu planners, district chefs and RDNs.
- New Mushroom Code from USDA: The USDA has approved and added the new 30lb, 12/2.5lb IQF diced mushroom pack to the USDA Foods Available List for School Year 2019 for Schools and Institutions. This is a product that was requested by many schools and will allow schools to better utilize mushrooms on their menus!
- As a copper sponsor, the Mushroom Council will have representative at the CIA’s Worlds of Healthy Flavors and Healthy Menu Collaborative, held January 16-18, 2018 in Napa Valley CA. For more information about the event visit www.ciaprochef.com.
Highlights From December
- The first James Beard Foundation Blended Burger Project™ Campus Edition concluded on December 15, 2017. Read more about the winning colleges/universities and their burgers on the Mushrooms on the Menu blog, and be sure to share across your social channels. New Resources are being developed to promote the winners, which will be available later this month.
Tracker Highlights from 11/05/2017*
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy: Click here for the full report.
- In the 4-weeks – Mushroom category outpaces total produce in dollar growth rate
- In the 52-weeks – Brown mushrooms drive 45% of a +$34.3M category gain
* IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing