Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | September 2018
- The Industry Market Review will take place on Thursday, September 6, 2018, from 4:30pm – 6:30pm at the Italian American Club located at 30 Ways Lane in Kennett Square, PA there will be an option to view the taping of the session on-line. Please click this link to register for this event
- You heard right, this year we will attempt to embrace technology and engage all growers, shippers and importers at one time either in person or via a recorded version that will be available online to “attend” at your convenience.What to expect from this review?
- The Council is updating it’s 5-year plan – What is forecasted demand growth over the next 5 years?
- What are factors likely to drive forecasted demand growth?
- And most important, what questions and comments do YOU have that YOUR Council representatives and marketing team can we address? For example, “Is there life after Sonic?”
Please follow this link to share any questions, suggestions, or concerns you would like to be part of the Q&A and discussion” session following our Council marketing review and industry forecast and strategic review. Having issues with the link? Contact email@example.com)
4:30pm – 5:00pm
- Light Reception
5:00pm – 6:30pm
- Mushroom Council Marketing Update
- 5-year forecast and strategic review
- Industry/Council Engagement
*Please note that there is a Council Meeting taking place from 8:00am-3:00pm earlier in the day at the Hilton Garden Inn. All industry members are welcome to attend, just let us know so we can make sure you are accommodated.
Open Positions on the Council:
- Ballots were tallied and background forms have been completed by the nominees and the nomination package has been submitted to the Secretary of Agriculture for appointment.
COUNCIL MEETING: The next Council meeting will be held on September 6-7 in Kennett Square, PA. If you would like to attend, please let us know so we can make sure you are accommodated.
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- September is Mushroom Month and the Council invites you to build a better bowl with Mushrooms! Share this infographic to help fans find the bowl they’re craving, and don’t miss the Mushroom Council’s Facebook Live on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 4 p.m. ET where cookbook author and Food Network Star, Melissa d’Arabian, will show fans how to create a winning mushroom bowl recipe.
- Generate excitement for Mushroom Month in your local market using this template press release and graphics. If you have any questions on how to leverage these materials, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September marks the ninth Blenditarian Challenge™, and the theme is “Better Bowls.” Make one of the featured recipes (or your own favorite recipe) and post a picture to Twitter or Instagram with #BlenditarianChallenge. Learn more here.
- SONIC Drive-In will be relaunching their LTO around The Slinger, their signature burger made with 25% mushrooms. Take your staff, your customers and your families to SONIC to ensure success.
- Mushroom promotions abound in Cleveland for Mushroom Month. If you are in the market, look up and eat at one of the 24 restaurants that are featuring special mushroom dishes. Plus, some of the retailers will be selling their own Blended Burgers.
Highlights from July
- The Mushroom Council served up 500 blended burgers to attendees at Rider Magazine’s annual fundraiser at the Sturgis Museum and Hall of Fame. The burger, dubbed Chew Before You Inhale by chef Lance Avery, was the star of the Thursday, Aug. 10th fundraiser. Learn more here.
- The August Blenditarian Challenge™ resulted in 40+ original “Back-to-School” blend entries, including Blended Macaroni & Cheese, Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs and Blended Pot Stickers. A few of our favorite reasons for blending include:
- “Being a @blenditarian is easy to do- and adds some extra protein to your diet! This recipe is incredibly simple and perfect for when I have classes to go to.”
- “These are quick and easy to make and perfect for a night where my kids are off to sports practices. Being a blenditarian is great for me and also healthy for my kids.”
- “@blenditarian lifestyle helps me eat what I love but with a little extra HEALTHY”
- Fleming’s Prime Steak House has introduced a new Bar Bites menu with a Mushroom-Farro Blend Burger, made with fresh mushrooms. It’s available for lunch only, so be sure to stop by your nearest Fleming’s.
Click images to enlarge
Tracker Highlights from Period Ending 07-15-18*
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy
- In the 4-weeks – Southeast led dollar and volume growth rates in total mushrooms
- In the 52-weeks – Specialty mushrooms continue to show double-digit growths
* IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing