Media Placements – 02/27/2023
Mushrooms in the News: 02-21-2023
Mushrooms featured prominently in two articles encouraging shoppers to add them to their grocery carts:
Insider spotlighted The Blend™ in “How to Eat Well on a Budget” stating, “I often like to mix veggies into expensive proteins…For example, you can make a ‘mushroom meat blend’ by mixing together a pound of ground meat with a pound of chopped mushrooms.” The story also featured a mushroom quinoa bowl recipe.
Women’s Health broke down all the benefits of mushrooms in, “Why You Should Definitely Add Mushrooms To Your Next Grocery Shopping” suggesting, “If you are looking for a subtle way to add more veggies to your daily diet, chop them up and mix them together with ground beef, chicken, or turkey in a homemade chili or pasta sauce. Their umami flavor also makes them a great addition for soups.”
Produce Blue Book reported that mushrooms were the most popular pizza topping in the U.S. last year, according to Slice, which represents the nation’s independent pizza shops. Mushrooms appeared on 8.9 percent more pizzas last year than in 2021.
Universal Studios Hollywood’s new Super Nintendo World features a restaurant dedicated to Mushroom Kingdom. An L.A. Times article mentioned, “This menu is themed out to the Mushroom Kingdom, so there is some nod to a mushroom, whether it be the shape of it, the flavor of it, or it’s themed to the landscape.” Guests can find mushrooms in Chef Toad’s Short Rib Special, The Mario Burger and Fire Flower Spaghetti & Meatballs.
Media + Social Digital Highlights
- Why You Should Definitely Add Mushrooms To Your Next Grocery Shopping List – Yahoo
- Our Top 20 Dinners to Make This Spring – Eating Well
- Sick? Here’s What to Eat When You Have the Flu, According to Doctors – Parade
- Inside Super Nintendo World: A guide to every dish at so-cute-it-hurts Toadstool Cafe – Los Angeles Times
- Trying to eat well on a budget? – Insider
- 21 Vegetarian Dinners in Three Steps or Less – Eating Well
- Here’s how to make your favourite takeaway at home – Lovefood
- Lovely leftovers recipes to save food AND money – Lovefood
- 49 unbelievably tasty vegan recipes from breakfast to dessert – MSN
- 20 Simple Nutrition Hacks to Get More Vitamin D into Your Diet – Men’s Health
- 35 Mushroom and Beef Recipes – Taste of Home
- Vegan Chicken Nuggets – Ela Vegan
- “The Last of Us” won’t have the last word on mushroom appeal – Axios
- Mushrooms named best topping in pizza trend report – Produce Blue Book
- USDA seeks nominees for the Mushroom Council – Fresh Plaza
MUSHROOM COUNCIL SOCIAL/DIGITAL
Social media fans are eager to learn more about the micronutrients mushrooms contain. A top performing post this week focused on selenium, a key micronutrient that protects the body from infection and damage caused by free radicals. Additionally, one of the FYIS “Dynamic Duos” (Chicken + Mushrooms) sparked dozens of responses and thousands of engagements. Find the recipe here.
Engage with this post on Facebook
The views and opinions in the article links included in this email are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the Mushroom Council.