Monthly Shipping and Marketing Report | March 2018
Attention: Sales Teams and Marketing Leads
Mark your calendars for April 24-25 to join the Council at the Culinary Institute of America in San Antonio, TX, for a Mushroom Marketing Summit designed to provide you with the latest research, resources and inspiration! This 1.5-day event will include educational sessions, hands-on breakouts (including some fun in the amazing CIA kitchens) and take home tools and materials.
- Provide your customer-base with new and relevant information
- Improve your personal sales and marketing skills
- Leverage the Mushroom Council’s programs for your benefit
Tuesday, April 24 – 8 am – 5 pm
Wednesday, April 25 – 8 am – 2 pm
Topics will include:
- Brand new consumer, foodservice and retail research and trends
- “Sustainability is our Future” – mushroom sustainability research by Dr. Alissa Kendal, UC Davis
- Retail Best Practices Refresh – including the emerging role of The Blend to sell the whole store
- K-12, Colleges and Universities, Business and Industry, Healthcare…sell globally while executing locally
- Beyond big chains, wholesalers/terminal markets key to reaching independents…what can you offer besides quality and price?
- Marketing tips and best practices, including packaging design, social media and web design
- Retail and foodservice promotions – case studies and templates
- Orientation and review of the Council’s campaigns for the year; Promotional plug-ins, specific materials, and how to use
- Review of marketing resources, tools, and presentation materials
Book your room at Hotel Emma by clicking this link Mushroom Council April 2018 and using the booking code MC0418. Cutoff to make reservations at the group rate ($250) is April 3, 2018.
No cost to attend the Summit but Space is Limited…Reserve your place now.
- Nominations: A call for nominations were mailed on February 1, 2018 for three positions on the Council for the 2019-2021 term.
The Mushroom Council sees the pursuit of diversity in board membership as an opportunity for embracing new ideas and growth that will enable the Council to better serve the industry. Central to this effort is having leadership to serve on the Council that reflects a diversity of perspectives and opinions. The industry population is diverse, and the Council should reflect, without discrimination, that diversity in the size of operations, experience of members, methods of production and distribution, marketing strategies, and other distinguishing factors that will bring different types of individuals, perspectives and ideas to the table.
- Exemption Applications: The exemption applications for the 2018 calendar year have been mailed to those who are currently exempt. If you need an application, click here.
To see current charts, click here.
The Month Ahead
- The Mushroom Council is partnering with California Avocado Commission to sponsor a booth at the Orange County Heart & Stroke Walk on March 24. If you will be in the Anaheim area and would like to participate in the walk or check out our booth, you can find more information here.
- We will launch our third Blenditarian Challenge™: Family Favorites, in partnership with our new Blenditarian ambassador, Melissa d’Arabian. Learn how you can participate in this month’s challenge here.
- We will begin outreach to recruit chefs for the fourth annual Blended Burger Project™. Stay tuned for updates and start spreading the word to your network of chefs using newly developed resources that can be downloaded here.
- All four regional NACUFS conferences will be held throughout March and into early April. The Mushroom Council will be exhibiting and serving a blended burger and a taco. Colleges and Universities were not only the early adopters, they still continue to demand The Blend from their meat suppliers, several of whom may be exhibiting. Showcase dates: March 8, Denton, TX; March 21, Salt Lake City, UT; March 26, Madison, WI; and April 5, Binghamton, NY. Watch the April and May Shipping Reports for conference results.
- Sonic Drive-In will launch their Blended Burger, the Sonic Signature Slinger, early March with millions of dollars in support. Be sure to share among the office, on your social channels, and encourage trial to help boost Sonic sales. This is also great leverage for your sales teams to promotion The Blend to your own customers – chains, distributors and retailers – the 5th largest burger chain in the country is menuing The Blend.
Highlights from February
- The “I Am a Blenditarian Because…” campaign continues to gain traction on social media as top influencers share why they are taking the pledge. Check out our favorite Instagram videos from The Overwhelmed Mommy, 40Aprons, and Joyfully Green. Add your own voice to the conversation by filming a short video sharing why you’re a Blenditarian, and post to social with #blenditarian.
- Wendy’s introduced their Mushroom Bacon Burger. This this menu item may only be available for a limited time, go out and order one; or three. Check out the marketing behind the launch of this burger here.
Tracker Highlights from 01/28/2018*
Spotlight – Notable and Newsworthy:
- In the 4-weeks – Mushroom category starts the year with a bang – outpacing total produce by +2.6 points
- In the 52-weeks – Brown mushrooms are driving long-term category volume growth
* IRI/FreshLook Data provided by Fusion Marketing