Gooey Kennett Mushroom Macaroni and Cheese
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
“I have been in food for my whole life, so I love to foster people in the culinary world – and also in the regular world – just in helping them eat, in learning how to bring food in a healthy way into their lifestyle, and in being more knowledgeable of food.” Aimee Olexy, Talula’s Table
- Garlic Bread Crumbs, about 1 cup
- 5 cups milk
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife, skin left on
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 4 fresh oregano or marjoram sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs and bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pound penneor lily pasta
- ½ pound aged white cheddar and gruyere mix cheese (Cabot, Grafton, Roth Kase), grated, about 2 cups
- 2 ounces good quality parmesan ( cheese, grated, about 2/3 cup)
- 3 cups Roasted, Sliced Mixed Mushrooms – Oyster, Maitake, Shitake, Beech, King (seasoned, lightly oiled, roasted at 400 for 8 min)
- Combine the milk, onions, garlic, and herb sprigs and leaves in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Set aside to steep for 15 minutes. Pour through a strainer and return to the pan.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk in the flour to make the roux, and cook over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk 2 cup of the seasoned milk into the roux to make a paste. Add the remaining milk, 1 cup at a time, until all the milk has been incorporated. Continue to cool- still whisking- over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. The sauce will be just slightly thickened.
- Season with the dijon, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt lightly. Drop in the penne and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. (it should be slightly undercooked to allow for baking time) drain the penne and place in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over and toss in the cheeses (reserve a handful of Parmesan). Fold in Mushroom. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, making sure to include all of the sauce. Sprinkle with the garlic bread crumbs and remaining parmesan bake until golden and bubbling, about 40 minutes.
- Garlic Bread Crumbs: Preheat the oven to 325. Cut (day old sourdough, baguette) bread into thin slices and place on a baking sheet; brush with garlic infused oil, generously or lightly, as you like. Bake until golden and very crisp about 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Break up the bread with your hands and pulse in a food processor, leaving the texture a little coarse.
Note: Sub breadcrumbs for panko
If you like this, try these:
Barbecue Pulled Mushroom Slider with Blueberry and Cabbage Slaw
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America With The Mushroom Council.View Recipe
Mushroom Pasta Sauce
Courtesy of the Culinary Institute of America and the Mushroom Council.View Recipe
Wild Mushroom Hash and Eggs
Jack C., Flik Independent School Dining, Director of Dining ServiceView Recipe