Media Placements – 02/08/2021
Mushrooms in the News: 02-08-2021
We’re pleased to share that we received an above-average amount of media coverage this week. Many of the stories are a direct result of our Q1 media outreach efforts tied to our Feed Your Immune System campaign as well as promotion of general mushroom nutrition and new nutrition research findings.
Industry-funded research published in Food Science & Nutrition and (promoted in a press release distributed 2/1/2021) found that adding a mushroom serving to the diet increased the intake of several micronutrients, including shortfall nutrients such as vitamin D, without any increase in calories, sodium or fat. To date, media coverage includes Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Slash Gear, Nutrition Insight and SciTech Daily.
The Council partnered with Registered Dietitian, Patricia Bannan, to share the immune-boosting properties of mushrooms on “California Live,” a program that airs on NBC affiliate stations in Los Angeles, San Diego and the Bay Area. Bannan explained that “[mushrooms] have immune-supporting nutrients, like selenium, B vitamins and vitamin D. The cool thing is that mushrooms are the only produce in the produce aisle that has vitamin D, and just like humans that increase their vitamin D intake from sunlight, so can mushrooms. Just five UV-exposed mushrooms have more than a day’s worth of vitamin D.”
Maile Carpenter, Editor-in-Chief at Food Network, said “we’ll see a ton of blended products” in 2021 on an episode of Hot Takes on a Plate podcast on food trends for the year. Furthermore, she explains that “mushrooms are huge right now. Not only for their health benefits but their ability to kind of mimic meat.”
Mushrooms continue trending on trend lists, as VegNews named them the “hottest wellness trend right now” based on nutrition, sustainability and continued sales growth.
The Council’s recent campaigns were discussed on a recent episode of The Packer’s podcast, The Tip of the Iceberg.
The Mushroom Council was featured in the “Culinary Educational Resources a Click Away” story in the January Gold Medal Classroom edition announcement e-newsletter. The email was sent to more than 2,500 CAFE subscribers. The stories were also posted on CAFE’s home page, Instagram and Facebook sites.
MEDIA + SOCIAL/DIGITAL HIGHLIGHTS
- 3 Superfoods to Boost Immunity – California Live (NBC Los Angeles, NBC San Diego, NBC Bay Area)
- Food Trends with Maile Carpenter – Bleav in Hot Takes on a Plate
- Just add mushrooms: Making meals more nutritious – EurekAlert!
- Mushrooms boost “shortfall nutrients” in diets without increasing calories, sodium or fat, says study – Nutrition Insight
- Mushroom study finds superfood benefits without weight gain risks – Slash Gear
- One Serving of Mushrooms A Day Could Have Huge Impacts on Health – IFL Science
- Making Meals More Nutritious (Micronutrients and Shortall Nutrients): Just Add Mushrooms – SciTech Daily
- Why you should be eating more mushrooms – Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- One Serving of This Food Can Significantly Increase Your Vitamin D Intake, Researchers Say – Eat This, Not That!
- Eating more mushrooms can provide key nutrients to consumers’ diets – Consumer Affairs
- Mushrooms provide nutrients without the calories says new research – New Food Magazine
- Low-calorie, high-protein, with a vitamin D boost: mushrooms make meals more nutritious – ZME Science
- Hearty, Wholesome Dishes to Support Immune Systems – Yahoo! Finance, Boston Herald, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Star Tribune, Arizona Republic
- Why Mushrooms Are the Hottest Wellness Trend Right Now (and 14 Products You Need) – VegNews
- Top 5 Vitamin-D Rich Foods to Support Immunity – California Live (NBC Bay Area)
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Vitamin D – Eat This, Not That!
- Mushroom Stroganoff – The Dr. Oz Show (Recipe on DoctorOz.com)
- Martha Stewart’s Mushroom Packed Bolognese Is the Ultimate Meatless Monday Meal – MSN
- Grocery Trends: Fewer new products, and other supermarket changes – The Jackson Citizen Patriot (Jackson, MI)
- Seafood, burgers and beer dominate Wilmington area’s new restaurant options – Star News Online
- How to Store Mushrooms So They Don’t Get Slimy – Leite’s Culinaria
- Garlicky Mushroom Bolognese with Fettuccine – The Kitchn
- Podcast – Mushroom Council’s Eric Davis talks The Blend, #FeedYourImmuneSystem – The Packer
- From Versatility To Immunity, Mushrooms Meet the Moment – Produce Business
- Just Add Mushrooms: Making Meals More Nutritious – Fresh Plaza
- Immunity On the Menu – Flavor & the Menu
- The 10 Most Craveable Pizza Chains – Restaurant Business
- Culinary Educational Resources a Click Away – CAFE Gold Medal Classroom
Top posts this week included a post asking people to share one word that describes what they love most about mushrooms (spoiler: many could not do it in just one word!), as well as an easy weeknight dinner recipe from blogger Grandbaby Cakes.
- Impressions: 13,385
- Engagements: 1,095
- Reactions: 766
- Comments: 215
- Shares: 23
Read all of the comments and engage with this post.
- Impressions: 4,156
- Engagements: 284
- Reactions: 134
- Comments: 12
- Shares: 52
Engage with this Facebook post.
Share the original recipe post.