These Jamaican jerk wraps with papaya salsa are a meal for the whole family to enjoy.
- 2 medium onions, cut into ½-inch dice (divided)
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into ½-inch dice (divided)
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 5 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dried leaf thyme
- 5 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 pounds oyster mushrooms, halved
- 2 pounds button mushrooms, halved
- 6 cups mixed greens, coarsely chopped
- 24 large Boston lettuce leaves (about 4 full heads, cleaned)
- 5 large papayas, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Place all papaya salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place half the diced onion and half Scotch bonnet or jalapeno in the bowl of a food processor. Add ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, 1/3 cup of olive oil, maple syrup, thyme, allspice, cayenne, nutmeg and cinnamon. Puree until well combined. Set aside.
- Warm a grill or griddle to medium high heat. Place mushrooms in a bowl; toss with remaining olive oil, onion and peppers. Turn half the mix onto the grill and cook 2 – 3 minutes, turning often with a spatula. Place cooked mixture in a large bowl; repeat process with remaining half. Mix in the onion and pepper spice blend.
- Lay out individual lettuce leaves on trays covered with paper towels. Top each with about 1/4 cup mixed greens, 2 tablespoons papaya salsa and 1/4 cup mushroom filling.
- Serving Size: 1 lettuce leaf with 1/2 cup filling
- Calories: 178
- Sodium: 119 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 4 g
If you like this, try these:
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America With The Mushroom Council.View Recipe
“I have been in food for my whole life, so I love to foster people in the culinary world, just in helping them eat, in learning how to bring food in a healthy way into their lifestyle, and in being more knowledgeable of food.”View Recipe