A meatloaf recipe that guarantees a dose of mushrooms in every bite.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms – divided kosher
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups broth – divided
- 1/2 cup half/half
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf blend (beef, pork, veal)
- 1/2 onion – minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg – beaten
- Into a large oven proof skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add 12 ounces sliced mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Sprinkle flour on top of mushrooms. Stir until well coated. Add 2 1/2 cups of broth. Continue cooking until mixture begins to thicken. Add cream and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pulse remaining 4 ounces of mushrooms in a food processor.
- Into a large bowl add: meat, onion, Worcestershire, 1/4 cup broth, panko, egg and mushrooms. Mix until just combined.
- Form into two equal loafs and place into skillet (in sauce).
- Transfer to oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until meat is cooked through. Skim fat off sauce prior to serving.
If you like this, try these:
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jenn Louis of Lincoln RestaurantView Recipe
Ground chuck blended with shiitake mushrooms, romesco, grilled spring onions, salsa verde aioli, butter lettuce on a toasted brioche bun.View Recipe